Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Our Kitchen Was Smitten

Two weeks ago Dave and I went up to Collingwood to visit with my mom and spend a little time getting ready for ski season. It was beyond festive with a crazy snow storm and tons of baking. My mom had just bought the new Smitten Kitchen Cookbook and was obsessed, not only with the recipes, but the writing as well. Deb has a knack for making anyone feel like they can cook out of her book and laugh along with her, just as if you were standing beside her. So obviously I felt we needed to take this book for a serious test drive and make a whole dinner from it, complete with Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies for dessert (SO good).

We made a few substitutions here and there based on what we had in the fridge, but everything worked out perfectly. We made the Fig Challah, and substituted the fig filling for a spicy asiago cheese filling... what could be bad about that right!? I loved that the switch-up worked, and the bread was buttery and light. The Leek Fritters were just as crispy and tasty as they look- we added some zucchini as well, to stretch the recipe for 6 of us and it worked perfectly- the lemon dipping sauce was a must with it too.






















The Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are a must-make (I did cut the cookies a little thick, but they were still totally decedent). Hungry yet? We also made the Wild Rice and Kale Gratin, which was cheesy and delish- its behind the multiple bottles of wine in the picture, and a little Pork Tendy for the non-veggies in the group. On the right is my super cute mom, brushing egg wash on our crazy-beautiful challah. She will hate this picture, because she is in the kitchen- every photo I have of her she is in the kitchen, minus my wedding. Seriously though, I hope I am that cute when I am her age!
 
Cooking by the fire is always fun!
 
So Deb, well done. The Smitten Kitchen cookbook is awesome and I would highly recommend it for everyone on your Christmas List this year!
 
Happy Hump Day Team!
xo
C

2 comments:

  1. So the question is...when are YOU going to write cookbook? Because that's one I will buy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good question Kelly... I might be starting an online shop first! Seriously... look for more info in late Dec!

      Delete