Thursday, April 05, 2012

Purple Potatoes

Have you ever seen them? They are so cool. Almost tie-dye looking. Purple used to be my favorite colour when I was little... my mom still has photos of me heading off to kindergarten in bright purple leggings and a sweet Northern Getaway "SPICE MICE" sweater. Trust me, it was hot! Hah...
I made this simple side dish the other night to go along with my beet salad and bbq'd rosemary-lemon chicken (rosemary, honey, garlic, lemon zest and juice) and they were a hit!





Lemon-Garlic Purple Potatoes

5 medium sized purple potatoes
1 smallish clove garlic
1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

  1. Boil your purple potatoes in salted, boiling water until just tender.
  2. Meanwhile, mix in a small bowl, the zest of one whole lemon, salt, pepper, grated garlic and 3 tbsp of good olive oil. Use your rasp or zester for the garlic- it creates a garlic paste that is easier to distribute.
  3. Drain the potatoes and slice into 1 cm thick slices and spread out onto a plate.
  4. Drizzle over the lemon, garlic and olive oil mixture.
  5. Top with chopped chives and a little extra salt. I use Maldon Sea Salt to finish for a bit of crunch!
Ps. This would be awesome with fingerling potatoes or baby new potatoes too!

Enjoy and have an awesome early Friday! YAY long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment