Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Magic Beets

Hiiiii!
Sorry for the late post today... computer problems... blah.
I had a lot of fun last night whipping up one of the freshest, most colourful meals I have ever eaten. I went to the St. Lawrence market on the weekend and I picked up some gorgeous heirloom beets and carrots. The woman that sold me my beets mentioned a simple salad recipe, which inspired the one below.
When I purchased everything, I thought I was getting regular red and yellow beets... until I started peeling them. Under the ruby red skin, the flesh was white! Do you know what that means!? CANDY CANE BEETS. They are slightly sweeter and incredibly beautiful. Seriously- look at these photos... (I know... I went a little trigger happy...). But honestly, if they made fabric that looked like candy cane beets, I would make a pillow out of it. (I am redic- I am aware.)





Heirloom Beet and Carrot Salad

2 large beets
4 carrots
1 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp chopped chives
salt and pepper

  1. Using a mandolin (that's what I used) or a box grater shred the peeled beets and carrots into a large bowl.
  2. Drizzle 3 tbsp's of good olive oil over the veggies.
  3. Add the zest from the whole lemon to the veggies, as well as the juice from the whole lemon.
  4. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
  5. Top with the feta cheese and chopped chives.
Enjoy!

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Loving salads sans lettuce these days. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete