Tuesday, October 23, 2012

DIY: Mirror Update

I love this DIY. It's simple, quick and makes a BIG difference in your space. This mirror I inherited from my Grandparents, it was a little worse for wear and the goldish/copper finish wasn't exactly my style. I loved the bones of it- gorgeous curves and feminine flowers so I decided that with a bit of high gloss, white spray paint it would be perfect in our bathroom. You could look for mirrors like this at salvage shops or Goodwill. In our tiny little bathroom it makes the perfect statement and feels special to be reusing something my grandparents would have had up for years.
Final Mirror
1| Clean your mirror of any dust or cobwebs (mine had a few), using either TSP (found at any paint supply store or home depot) or a household cleaner if your mirror isn't too dirty. Sand down the frame if the existing finish on it is especially slippery.
2| Remove the mirror. I was pretty lucky, and just had to unscrew the backing of cardboard and mirror.
3| In a well ventilated space (outside) lay out your mirror. You may want to lift it up with erasers or stones so you can get right behind the frame.
4| Spray paint in light, even coats being sure to spray from all angles.
5| Allow the paint to dry and cure over night and reattach the mirror and backing.
6| Hang somewhere special and enjoy your handiwork!

Have a great Tuesday.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment