Monday, November 26, 2012

Caramelized Apple Waffles




It's Monday- so why not reminisce about the weekend? As mentioned here we went up to Collingwood to visit with my mom and my youngest sister who was home for American Thanksgiving (she goes to an American school). Man, it was awesome. My moms chalet has the best kitchen for laying everything out and making 5 different things at once. It also has a ton of windows and natural light which translates into awesome picture-taking-opportunities. What's not to love!? I wish I was back there right now...

Okay- Caramelized Apple Waffles. Yes. We made these on Saturday for brunch and oh.my.god. they were good. I just made up the apple recipe as I went and it turned out perfect! Here is how to make it your self... Ps. pleeeeease don't use toaster waffles, I know they are amazing with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on them and chocolate chips placed in every square (oh.. was that just me?), but these apples need the heft of homemade waffles. You can even use a thick pancake batter- throw in some quick cooking oats and cornmeal to give them a bit of texture and you will be off to the races.


Ingredients:
  • 2 large honeycrisp apples (or granny smith)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp real maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Method:
  1. Slice your apples, keeping them just shy of 1/4" thick.
  2. In a non-stick sautee pan on medium-low heat add the butter, brown sugar, syrup and spices. Stir until melted and combined.
  3. Add the sliced apples to the pan and stir. The cool apples will harden the sauce- don't worry, keep stirring and once they warm up, the sauce will become liquid again.
  4. Sautee for about 7 minutes on medium heat, until the apples soften and the sauce bubbles and thickens. Don't allow the sauce to get too deep in colour, turn the heat down if it is bubbling too aggressively!
  5. Serve over freshly made waffles with a little extra maple syrup on the side!
  6. I topped the apples with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and freshly grated nutmeg- you could use whipped cream of course...
Have a great Monday,
xo
C

No comments:

Post a Comment